Events Programme 2019
Fear & Medicine at the Old Operating Theatre Museum & Herb Garret
'Medical Fear' is something that everyone of us humans, past and present, have experienced at some point. We all experience illness and when we are unwell most of us want to get better. This often means doing something to ourselves that is alien, whether surgical, medicinal, or therapeutic. The methods that a sick person will use in their journey from illness to regaining their health can sometimes be scary for the individuals involved (the healers, the patients, the patients' families, etc.). Our Events Programme for 2019, aims to explore how and why people's concepts of 'fear' surrounding any type of medical conditions and interventions have been considered, understood, and felt by people in the past and how these histories can deepen our own understanding of how and why the fear involving 'taking medicine' still continues for many of us to this day.
The following is a listing of all the events taking place between January and June that are directly connected with the theme of Fear& Medicine. Please, click on the link for a full description of the event and how to book your tickets.
- 17/01/2019: "The Fear of Being Buried Alive: A Georgian and Victorian Perspective".
- 25/01/209: Film Night: "Nosferatu (1922)".
- 14/02/2019: Film Night: "Mad Love (1935)".
- 21/02/2019: "Demons, Revenants and Nightmares: Fear and Dreaming in the Middle Ages." (SOLD OUT!)
- 28/02/2019: "Music and Fear: Debut in Concert at the Old Operating Theatre" (TBA).
- 14/03/2019:Film Night: "Green for Danger (1946)."
- 21/03/2019: "‘Suffocation of the Mother’ The Victorian medical establishment and the fear of ‘female hysteria.'"
- 18/04/2019:"Fearing the Beast: Animal Attacks and Medical Practice in the Middle Ages".
- 23/04/2019: "Fear and lithotomy: Baroque Ensemble in Concert at the Old Operating Theatre" (TBA).
- 29/05/2019: "Overcoming Fear: A Tale of Cobras, Chloroform and Consumption. The Life, Times and Influence of Joseph T. Clover."
In addition to the theme of Fear & Medicine, the Old Operating Theatre Museum & Herb Garret has other especial events taking place between January and June 2019. Please, follow the link for additional information and booking:
- 31/01/2019: "After Hours Victorian Surgery Demonstration." (SOLD OUT!)
- 07/03/2019: "After Hours Victorian Surgery Demonstration."
- 24/04/2019: "Screening and post-screening discussion of Richard Squires' Doozy: Hysterical Male Laughter and Cartoon Villainy."
- 09/05/2019: "After Hours Victorian Surgical Demonstration."
- 31/05/2019: London History Day-Special Walk-"The Nests of Satan" & Talk-"Victorian Speed Surgery." (TBA).
- 06/06/2019: London Festival of Architecture-"Architecture for the Dead: Burial Grounds & Crypts in 18th-19th century Southwark." (TBA).
The Old Operating Theatre Museum & Herb Garret is committed to bring unique, educational, thought-provoking, and entertaining events to our space. We apologise in advance if the event that you wanted to attend has been sold out. Unfortunately, we are not able to duplicate any event that has a guest speaker. To avoid disappointment in the future, please, sign up to our e-newsletter or follow us on Social Media to be the first to find out about our Events. If you have any questions, please, contact Monica Walker, our marketing & events manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.