Learning and Access
The atmospheric and unique Old Operating Theatre Museum & Herb Garret welcomes visits from groups and schools. Our interactive talks and walks will provide inspiring and stimulating perspectives for students following a prescribed syllabus and for anyone with a general interest in the social history of medicine.
Book Your Visit
How to Book a Visit
1. Please read our booking information booklet. This contains all the information needed to book a group visit and what to expect on the day.
2. Identify potential risks during your visit: click here for a sample risk assessment.
3. Complete the booking enquiry form. Every section on the form must be completed.
4. You will receive a response within 3 working days.
5. Please do not make travel arrangements until we have sent you an email to confirm your booking.
6. If the date(s) and time(s) you have requested are not available we will email you with alternatives.
7. The Museum requires full payment in advance of the visit. Once a date has been confirmed an invoice will be sent.
8. Please note that the Museum does not allow provisional bookings.
*Teachers can sign up to our mailing list for news and updates about learning and engagement at the Old Operating Theatre Museum.
As of 1 May, 2018 the price for our group bookings is as follows:
- School groups (18 and under): £3.50 for talk only - £8.50 for talk and walk.
- School teachers (accompanying children 18 and under) will be charged the same rate as their students per head.
- Concession groups (this includes university students and OAP): £6 for talk only - £12 for talk and walk.
- Concession leaders will be charged the same rate as their students per head.
- Adult groups: £7.50 for talk only - £15.00 for walk and talk.
- Adult group leaders will be charged the same rate as their participants per head.
The minimum group size to book a talk or walk is 16. We can accommodate smaller groups, but they will be charged for 16 regardless.
- There is no additional charge when booking a lecture.Bookings can be cancelled up to a week prior to the visit. There will be a £50 cancellation fee if the group does not cancel within the allotted time.
- Due to limited capacity, please respect your time slot as the museum staff may not be able to provide the lecture or walk due to other bookings.
- We can only accept a maximum of 55 people into the museum at one time, including teaching staff. This is due to fire safety regulations.
- Educational lectures are open to all museum visitors; therefore no groups have exclusive access to the Museum. The public are free to quietly join the lecture but asked not to participate in the activity.
- At present the museum has no toilets on site.