The Old Operating Theatre Museum and Herb Garret is the type of unexpected and delightful venue to surprise guests when you host any after hours events like receptions, team-building meetings, product launches (books, wine, spirits, etc.), etc. It is also an atmospheric venue to use as a backdrop in photo shoots and video sessions.
The museum consists of four well defined areas. First, the Herb Garret, a charming area below the timber rafters of St Thomas' Church. This is the ideal place to serve drinks and canapes. The space can hold up to 60 people comfortably. Second, the Operating Theatre itself, which is a small hemicycle that can seat up to 50 people. This space is ideal for presentations and performances. In addition to these two areas, there is also a small ante-chamber which joins the Herb Garret with the Operating Theatre, as well as the Belfry, which houses a small shop at the top of the spiral staircase entrance which can be used to welcome guests.
Because the museum is an original space dating back to the 18th and 19th centuries, there are a number of restrictions that must be taken into consideration in order to safeguard it. Keep these restrictions in mind when you plan your event.
- The museum can hold up to 60 people, including the 2 staff members that must be present during the event.
- Parking is restricted in the vicinity of the Museum during office hours-although the area is well served with car-parks and meters. St Thomas' Street is a red route.
- Entrance to the museum is by a 52 step spiral staircase. We are not wheelchair accessible yet.
- Smoking is prohibited in the premises.
- The building is a museum and has to be treated with tender care and respect while in use.
- In order to minimise the impact on the Museum's visitors, venue hire can only take place outside of opening hours (10:30 am-5:00 pm).
- The Museum reserves the right to refuse any venue hire that does not meet with the Museum's standards.
Please, contact the museum to receive your venue, photography, or video hiring pack. You can discuss your requirements with us at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 02071882679. A member of staff will be able to help with your query.