Name/TitleLever's Long Obstetric Forceps with Ebony Handles
About this objectA two piece, long steel shafted forcep with long tear drop shaped bales set into small cross hatched ebony handles.
Obstetric forceps are used to ease the removal of the baby and usually comprise of two parts. The interlocking arms are inserted one at a time then aligned together at the locking point. Lever's forceps have a slot or English lock. The bales have a slight at the grip and have a circular finger hole just above the handle so that the medic can securely hold the instrument to remove the baby. In 1843 Dr John Charles Weaver Lever of the Lying on Charity of Guy's Hospital London was one of the first doctors to recognise measurement of high levels of albuminin in the urine as a way of diagnosing eclampsia. The potentially dangerous eclampsia was indicated by high blood pressure, oedema, fits and comas. Dr Lever developed a diagnostic urine test for the condition. The patient's level of albumin, egg white material could be exposed by heating the specimen, albumin present could be seen to become cloudy on heating. If the test was positive the patients were treated bloodletting, cold bags held to the head and various medicines mixed into wine ricin, opium, acid sulpha and sago. The forceps are Inscribed maker's mark "Biggs & Millikin" who were established in 1751 and by 1842 moved to St Thomas' Street then onto Leicester Square (where they had been in 1832-4) and then back to St Thomas' Street taking over the Laundy business in 1858/9.
MakerBiggs & Millikin, Leicester Square, London
Maker RoleMedical supplier and instrument maker
Place MadeSt Thomas' Street, London SE1
Medium and MaterialsEbony, steel
Subject and Association KeywordsObstetrics
Object TypeObstetric Forceps: Lever's
Copyright LicenceAll rights reserved