Name/TitleHaighton's Black Enamelled Obstetric Forceps
About this objectAlthough entirely coated in black enamel, the shaft and bale of the forceps are made of steel with wooden handle plates rivetted to the outer faces. Where the handles have been damaged by wearm, small patches of the hanlde wood beneath can be seen. Prior to the introduction of aseptic procedures, medical instruments were often lacquered paint to stop rust. The later introduction of e.p.n.s and/or silver plating replaced this process, which was then itself outdated by the use of stainless steel. Obstetric forceps are used to ease the removal of the baby and usually comprise of two parts. The interlocking arms are inserted one at a time then aligned together at the locking point. The narrowed waisted section at the end of the handles allowed a tape to be tied to secure the two arms together and prevent slippage. This design was introduced by John Haighton FRS (1755-1823) who was a surgeon and obstetrician to both St Thomas' and Guy's Hospitals. Haighton was also the uncle of James Blundell (1790-1878) and eventually they even lectured at the Hospitals together from 1814. The forceps have a button style central fitting, a German lock, which is unusual for Haighton's forceps. The shaft bears the maker's mark "Ferguson 12 Giltspur Street" an address which is close to St Bartholomew's Hospital, London.
Maker RoleSurgical instrument maker
Place Made21 Giltspur Street, London
Place NotesThe shaft bears the maker's mark "Ferguson 12 Giltspur Street" an address which is close to St Bartholomew's Hospital, London.
Medium and MaterialsSteel and wood
Inscription and MarksStamp for Ferguson 12 Giltspur Street
Subject and Association KeywordsObstetrics
Object TypeObstetric Forceps: Haighton's
Copyright LicenceAll rights reserved