Name/TitleImproved Ceramic Inhaler
About this objectOne side of the inhaler is printed with black label text: "Dr Nelson's Improved Inhaler" which is set over a shield that holds the text: "Directions for Use Remove Mouthpiece. Half Fill the Inhaler with Boiling Water. Replace Mouthpiece & Apply Lips to It. Breathe Freely in & Out as In Ordinary Respiration"
Below this is the maker's label reads "The Boots Chemist" [eg. Boots the Chemist].
Dr Nelson invented this portable Inhaler in the 1865 period and from its introduction it was commonly used in both hospitals and within the middle class home. The body of the jug was half filled with hot water and an amount of the chosen medicine, or it could be simply added to the small sponge placed within the closure inside the glass tube. The curved exit tube allowed the used breath to be released. The bowl and glass tube of the inhlaer became very hot and so waswrapped wiht towels and flannels to prevent burning of the patient's skin. The inhaler could be placed in an addiotnal bowl of hot water to keep the content hot and so extend the length of the process. A towel might also be placed over the patient's head to enclose the inhaler and so concentrate the treatment. The inhaler was used at most hospitals to treat lung condition such as bronchitis, flu and colds. A medicinal balm, such as Friar's Balsam or an oil such as eucalyptus a prior brewed mixture such as with hop water. The steam could be inhaled and taken into the lungs. Within the old hospitals this inhalation process occasionally incorporated some more toxic but sedatives such as ether, chloroform, henbane, stramonium or even coal tar related products such as creosote. Also see also early inhaler version 1990:150 and similar 2005:004 and 005.
MakerBoots Pure Drug Company, Nottingham
Subject and Association KeywordsPharmacy
Copyright LicenceAll rights reserved