The atmospheric and unique Old Operating Theatre Museum & Herb Garret welcomes visits from groups (within Covid restrictions). Our interactive talks will provide inspiring and stimulating perspectives for students following a prescribed syllabus or for anyone with a general interest in the social history of medicine.
Please email us providing more information about your group and to discuss availability: email@example.com.
All income generated from Group visits helps support the Museum and ensures we can keep operating for future generations.
Victorian Surgery Brought to Life
This session is held in Europe’s oldest surviving operating theatre, where hundreds of surgeons would have once gathered and learnt their trade by watching the various surgical procedures that took place. Your group will experience the atmosphere of this uniquely evocative space, as the Session Leader reconstructs an operation before the arrival of anaesthesia and antiseptics.
The talk is ideal for schools (primary and secondary), Further Education Colleges, Universities and Special Interest Groups looking to learn more about Victorian Surgery.
- Enable a deeper understanding of the problems associated with surgery before the developments of anaesthetics and antiseptics
- Improve intellectual skills, namely the ability to identify the reasons why there was initial opposition to anaesthetics and antiseptics
- Understand the significance of these developments upon technologies of healing and future generations of medical practitioners.
Group Booking Information
£250 per group
- Maximum x40 people (including teachers/group leaders)
- 1.5 hours in length
- Includes our popular ‘Victorian Surgery Brought To Life’ Talk (45 minutes)
- Sessions can be booked Mon-Thurs, 10.30am, 12.30pm or 2.30pm
You might also be interest in…
VIP Private Tour
£150 per tour
Our VIP guided private tour with our in house historical expert Dr. Monica Walker will give you exclusive access to the Museum, and makes an ideal gift or as part of a trip to London.
- Maximum x6 people
- 1.5 hours in length
- Complimentary refreshments
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to book